Post Surgical Do's and Don'ts
Do call us with any concerns (905) 529 8959
Do watch the post operative videos
- Do use gauze or a fresh wet wrung out tea bag to completely cover the hole, bite down gently for 30 minutes
- Don’t continuously rinse your mouth the first day, you will dislodge the blood clot and bleeding will continue.
- Don’t sleep with the gauze in your mouth; take it out before you go to bed.
- Do call us if you cannot get the bleeding to stop, particularly if you are on an anticoagulant.
- Do note that a small amount of blood mixed with a larger amount of saliva can make it look more dramatic than it is! A little oozing from the surgical site is normal the day of the surgery.
Eating and Drinking
- Don’t eat food that needs chewing while you are still frozen.
- Do eat soft, fluidy, calorie rich foods like ice cream, especially if you are recovering from a general anesthetic and have not eaten since yesterday.
- Don’t worry about getting food stuck in the holes.
- Don't drink alcohol for 48 hours
- Do take the medications as prescribed.
- Don’t continue to take the medications if you think you may be having a reaction. Call us or your Pharmacist if you are not sure.
- Don’t expect the pain medication to take away all your pain; it usually just takes the edge off it.
- Don’t drive or operate dangerous machinery while taking a narcotic medication, you could be found to be ‘under the influence’.
- Don’t worry about brushing your teeth the first day.
- Don’t use harsh mouthwashes, they slow healing.
- Do rinse with mild salt water (1 tsp per litre)
- Don't smoke for as long as possible afterwards.